- The lemon tree originated in India, but now is grown in subtropical climates all over the world especially in Florida and the Mediterranean.
- Lemons work as a buffer in our bodies and can REDUCE hyperacidity in the stomach.
- Lemon juice and peel have an antiseptic effect and the leaves of the lemon tree are used to reduce fever.
- Lemons are rich in Vitamin C which strengthens the immune system and products our cells from free-radical damage.
- The juice of one lemon supplies 33% of your daily Vitamin C needs and 1 tbsp of the peels supplies 13%.
Uses for Lemons
- Cleanse Your Body- lemons have an anti-inflammatory effect and promote perspiration and act as a diuretic.
- Vitamin C Boost
- Aids Iron and Calcium Absorption- lemons stimulate the production of enzymes and digestive juices in the mucous membranes of the stomach which will enhance absorption.
- Emergency Disinfectant- lemon juice can disinfect wounds or lesions in the mouth and throat such as canker sores. Apply diluted juice in the affected areas or gargle with it several times a day.
- Alleviates sore throat and hoarseness- squeeze one lemon and dilute the juice with 1 cup of hot water. Gargle 3 times a day with the diluted juice.
- Stop Nosebleeds- dribble a small amount of diluted lemon juice (equal parts water and juice) on a cotton ball and dab it repeatedly onto the nasal mucous membranes. The lemon's astringent effect draws the body tissues together.
- Reduce cramps, fever and insomnia- pour 1 cup of boiling water over 3 tsp of dried leaves and allow to steep for 10 minutes. Drink up to 2 cups per day for relief of fever and cramps. Add honey to the mixuture to help with coughs and asthma. For insomnia, drink one cup of the tea an hour before bed.
- Relieves joint and nerve pain- Grate the skin from 1 lemon (be careful to only get the yellow layer and none of the white pith underneath). Rub the grated peel into the affected body parts and then wrap them with a bandage. Keep in place for 1 to 2 hours. The fragrant volatile oils found in the peel help relax blood vessels and produce an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Soothe a sunburn- Using a cotton ball, gently apply diluted lemon juice to sunburned skin. The juice works as an astringent relieving pain.
In summary, lemons are useful natural remedy for gout, urine retention ,Vitamin C deficiency, inflammation of the mouth and throat, hoarseness, digestive disorders, nausea, heartburn, coughs, asthma, nervousness, insomnia, heart palpitations, and diseases of the stomach, liver and intestine.
When I used to go to acupuncture, I was told to drink a cup of hot lemon each morning upon rising on an empty stomach. You just take half a lemon and squeeze into a mug and add hot water. Its great when you are doing a cleanse and also keeps everything moving inside. I love the taste! Lemons are also great to use when you are trying to lose weight!! Have a glass of lemon water with each meal and you will find you won't retain so much water.