- Mantras (reciting words)
- Controlling breathing patterns (focusing on your breathing)
- Physically active meditations such as trance dance
Relaxation of the mind does have a healing effect on the body, helps people to reduce stress and prevents disease. People who meditate regularly feel more intensely that body and soul are one. As with any skill you are learning, practice does make perfect and meditation is no different. Meditation exercises should be practiced regularly preferably daily. The more frequently you practice the more easily you will approach inner peace. Your meditative sessions need not be long to be successful, but you must be willing to let go of your everyday concerns and focus on relaxation.
Guided Meditations are great too especially when you have never meditated before. They use guided imagery and vivid stories that take the listener away from everyday concerns and make it more simpler to reach a relaxed state.
Here's a meditation exercise for you to try:
1. Sit in a comfortable position that allows you to relax and stare deeply and concentrate on the flame of a candle in front of you.
2. Relax and breathe softly through your nose. Take a few moments to think about nothing. Concentrate on how your abdomen slowly rises and falls with every breath and how the air flows through your entire body. A hand on the stomach may help awareness.
3. Allow your thoughts to wander. Welcome every new thought like a good friend, but don't dwell on it. The calming light emitted by the candle will allow you to forget everyday problems. You will feel less tension in your body.
I prefer guided meditations because I love going on little journeys and seeing what it brings me or who I meet along the way. On my website, Mystic Connections, we offer a guided meditation called "Attune to Your Personal Angel Meditation". It's $10 and will take you on a journey to meet your Angels. Click here for more information or to order.
I used to meditate more often than I do now and its something I really enjoyed doing. I used to go to classes once a week and they would do a guided meditation. I always felt so much better after going and so relaxed. Try it out for yourself and let me know how it goes for you!